Monday, April 27, 2015

building/planting the garden....literally

It was a bit of a slower week than we planned, but the Lord's tender mercies are EVERYWHERE. 

where to start.....Tuesday night, we got to take the two new sisters in the mission tracting!  I went with Sister Moser and Sister Trujillo went with Sister Rasmussen.  Nobody was terribly interested in the gospel, but we found some people to do service for! 
Wednesday was transfers!  I was happy to show up to the trainers meeting to see 3 of my bff's from the MTC training as well!  It was so great to see them and catch up and see how much we have all grown since the greenie days. 
Me, Sister Moser and the Mission President with his wife
 
We got our assignments and our new companions and (can i get a drumroll).......my new companion is Sister Moser from Logan, Utah!!!!!  It was kinda precious that we went tracting together Tuesday and didn't even know we'd be companions. :)  She's such a solid person and I've learned much from her already. 
As a missionary, there's really no "easing into it".  So first thing we did after going through our plans for the day was hop on a bus headed downtown to teach our investigator, Mary.  Sister Moser was pretty nervous about contacting and all that, but by the end of the bus ride, I think she was a lot more comfortable.  We taught Mary the restoration, and she had lots of really insightful questions.  She is MEGA prepared and the real intent is there.  We also taught her a quick lesson about baptism (definitely not planned by us,but most definitely planned by God).  We read Mosiah 18:8-10 and BAM went the spirit and Sister Moser invited Mary to be baptized.  She accepted, and is praying about a date this week.  :)  she's basically already a mormon besides the fact she's not baptized yet....sooooo...it's great. 
I got to see some of my favourite people in the whole world, the Kinniburghs!!!  Gord came into town for his patriarchal blessing, and they took us out for some ice cream. :) I just love them. 
we also got stuck downtown last night for a couple hours later than planned because the bus routes changed due to construction.....we almost resorted to sleeping in a bus shelter but finally found a bus that took us home. :)  God will ALWAYS provide a way. 

We did  A TON of service this week, we're helping a local christian church to build a community garden.  and guess what!  I got to use my contracting skills and help build the garden boxes and use the drill and it was just a huge tender mercy.  Definitely brought me back to the days of going to work with dad.  :) 
Sister Moser gave away her first Book of Mormon on the bus and my heart REJOICED.  so much joy. 
We had a couple lessons set up to teach FAMILIES on friday, we were so excited and it was going to be amazing and then they both fell through and all of our back ups failed and we had no idea what to do. We stopped and prayed, we asked what Heavenly Father wanted us to do with the time we had, and we thought we should go downtown to visit Janet.  She's a member, can't come to church because of health complications, but she's the most Christlike person I've met.  We read the book of mormon with her and sang some primary songs and my heart just FILLED with the love of the Saviour for her and for me. 
When you're seeking to do what the Saviour would do, you will never have a bad day, I can testify of that.  We're not just here to do the work of the Lord, we're here to become disciples of Jesus Christ.  One of my favourite lines in PMG is this, "Just as vital as what you do, however, is who you are." 
 "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen." [Moroni 7:48]

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!! 
Onward, ever onward.
Sister Jones

Elder Barlow, Elder Orton and I were finally able to get a picture at transfer meeting (utah valley children's choir has definitely taken over alberta)

No comments:

Post a Comment