Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Give until there's nothing left

Soooooo we have iPads now and they're super weird and I don't know how
I feel about it.  Currently writing this email while making some
pancakes for lunch.....anywho....this week was crazy!

Last night, we had a HUGE miracle!  This part member couple that has
NEVER let missionaries in actually let us set up an appointment and
didn't cancel!!!!!! That was the first miracle. Then as we got talking
with them, we found out that we're totally related!! SECOND MIRACLE!!
Thomas Rowell Leavitt, my 4th great grandfather who came up and helped
settle southern Alberta, is an ancestor of him as well! (Shout out to
gma fern for printing off those family history stories that I have
been able to read throughout the mish) .  So that's crazy.  The lesson
went fairly well, and we'll be going back soon. :)

Sunday, we had supper with this cute Mexican part member family. We're
teaching the daughter ,who is turning 8 soon, the lessons before she
gets baptized.  The husband who isn't a member sat in!  He is all
about only speaking Spanish in the home, and we prayed really really
hard, and taught the whole lesson in Spanish.  .......just kidding.
It was really awesome though!!! The spirit was so strong and I did get
to use some high school Spanish to ask them if I could use their
washroom.  "Puedo ir al bano?" They were very impressed. :)

Also, the Tagalog elders found yet ANOTHER person for us to
potentially teach! They were contacting on the LRT, and this 60yr old
native lady, Chantelle, was carrying around a basketball and was
trying to find somewhere to play....hahahahah so they called us and we
all met at the church and played some bball with this 60 year old!
She's a baller.  Hahaha I can't even tell this story without
laughing.....man.  Edmonton is just the greatest place.

I also had the privilege of eating jelly fish this week.  After
unsuccessfully trying to chew it twice, I resorted to swallowing the
rest of it whole.  😐

Sister Moser and I have had a pretty crazy couple of transfers, I have
learned so much.  We started a 40 day fast last week from every
behavior that detracts from the spirit in the work, and oh man, the
blessings are huge!  The adversary is also very real, I have been
tried in ways that I hadn't before the point, and I know that the only
way to overcome, is through my Savior, Jesus Christ, and his
infinite, atoning sacrifice.

If Jesus Christ could sacrifice all he did, then I have no other
option but to give everything I have to him and this work.  I studied
the story of Abraham and Isaac, when God commanded him to offer his
only son as a sacrifice.  I reflected on it, and had to look inside
myself and see how dedicated and consecrated I am to the Lord.
"Verily I say unto you, all among them who know their hearts are
honest, and are broken, and their spirits contrite, and are willing to
observe their covenants by sacrifice--yea, every sacrifice which I,
the Lord, shall command--they are accepted of me." [d&c 97:8]

"Behold, I have seen your sacrifices, and will forgive all your sins;
I have seen your sacrifices in obedience to that which I have told
you. Go, therefore, and I make a way for your escape, as I accepted
the offering of Abraham of his son Isaac." [d&c 132:50]

There is no sacrifice too great for salvation.  "Sacrifice allows us
to learn something about ourselves-what we are willing to offer to the
Lord through our obedience."

Onward, ever onward.


Sister Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment