Monday, February 23, 2015

"Oh, Lord, I am yet strong. Give me one more mountain."

IT'S SO WARM!
I'll start this off by bragging that I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt today with no tights because it's +4 degrees and my heart is rejoicing in this tender mercy.  

This week has been emotionally draining, but all in all, the gospel is so real and it is the ONLY thing that will get us through this life.  I didn't realize it was possible to love people this much and truly desire their salvation more than anything else.  

HAPPENINGS OF THIS WEEK

-we were supposed to meet Chaise at dairy queen to teach him but he didn't show up, so we bought some blizzards and decided to take one to him. (even though we don't even know where he lives..)  It sounds lame, but we REALLY felt like we needed to take it to him.  If God wanted us to do this, we figured that He would provide a way for us to find him.  We prayed real hard, then drove and asked a member if she knew, after some very vague directions, we weren't sure if it was the right one, but we knocked and there he was! (sorry for the run-on sentence)  God always provides a way.
-we also got to give him a church tour!  it was during a scouting activity, so tons of members were there and everyone just flocked to him to introduce themselves and it was really neat.  He's also going to participate in our musical fireside next week, so that'll be an awesome experience!  
 
Precious, the hedgehog!
-on Friday, the Kinniburgh's really wanted to show us their new hedgehog, Precious, so we decided we'd finish our weekly planning there.  We had to get gas before, and we talked to our friend, Anita, who works at the Fas Gas, and she said, "where is your church again??  I lost the card you gave me and I showed up to the wrong church last sunday and didn't see you so I left!"  She totally wants to come to our church, so we gave her another card and got her number so we can start teaching her this week.  As we were walking out of the gas station, her co-worker was just arriving to take over, so if we had left any later, we wouldn't have seen her! Nothing is coincidence.  
-while contacting formers we taught this polish couple.  They're super catholic, and it was a gong show but we were able to leave a book of mormon for them and left with some polish chocolate....which we ate then after realized it tasted like coffee and couldn't read the package because it was in POLISH!  So we potentially broke the word of wisdom.  oops.  
-the stake presidency came to Drayton and  wait for it.... WE GOT A NEW BRANCH PRESIDENCY!!!  Everyone knew it was coming, but guess who our new branch president is..... PRESIDENT GIDDEY!!!  Our branch mission leader who has the greatest south african little family I've ever met.  So we're currently without a branch mission leader, but we'll be getting one soon. :)  When things like this happen, my testimony of the priesthood power just grows tenfold!  It's unreal.  Also, President Wong (the stake president) just gave everyone a smack down about becoming a ward.  He basically said that we almost have the numbers to become a ward, but when it comes to the spiritual maturity of the members, we need to take it up a few notches!  He's basically a general authority.  So cool.  

holy cricket, I have learned so much this week.  There was a speech given by Elder Holland called, "For Times of Trouble" that Sister Whiting showed me, and it gave me a whole new perspective.  http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=869

give it a good read.  (i know, it's long, but it's worth it!)
there's a line in there that has really hit me this week after lots of trial, "Oh, Lord, I am yet strong.  Give me one more mountain." [Joshua 14:11-12] 
when we are going through times of trouble, what is our attitude?  God will always give us just what we need to become who he has created us to be.  And it's our job to take that mountain, and CLIMB IT!  
He then talks about Enoch, “Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, [I] am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech?” [Moses 6:31

God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called.  And even though I'm just a little 20 year old unexperienced missionary who hasn't dealt with many hard things in her life...with the power of the Lord, I can do all things.   


Onward, ever onward.

Sister Jones



No comments:

Post a Comment