Monday, March 2, 2015

"My joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God"


OH MY WORD it has been a marvellous week.  And we have only Heavenly Father and the wonderful members here to thank for that.  Sister Whiting and I started a 40 day fast from sweets for our investigators 8 days ago, and here some of the miracles that have come of it:

-Tuesday, we met with Chaise.  We had planned on teaching him the Plan of Salvation, but as we were talking before, he pulled out his pack of cigarettes and said he was thinking about quitting.  We said he could crush them right now, and then HE DID.  HE JUST CRUSHED 'EM!  So we were all freaking out so excited, and Sister Whiting and I booked it back to our apartment to grab the quit smoking program for him to go through it.  He's still a non-smoker, DAY 6! :)  
-We met with him again on Friday, and taught him the plan of salvation.  He loved it and committed to baptism on MARCH 28th!!!!  And he got a hair cut!!! It's amazing, his countenance has changed so much and the spirit truly is working in his life.  He made the comment that this is something that will completely change the direction he is going in life, and he's happy about that. THE ATONEMENT IS REAL. We've been reading the Book of Mormon with him just about everyday since.  He also came to church yesterday and everybody introduced themselves and really made him feel welcome.  We asked him how he liked it after, and he said, "it was actually really good." he didn't think it would be hahah...such a punk.  but he loved it! 

-Anita, from the gas station came as well!!! She brought her little boy and was just so enthused about church!  She says she wants to be baptized and that she's going to come every sunday from now on. :)  We're teaching her tonight and planning on setting a date for her baptism.

-While attempting to contact a former, we found Greg!  This super sweet old man that let us come back the next day. Sister Curry came (asked for work off--such a gem!) and we taught him the restoration.  He is so ready for the gospel!!!  So prepared.  We'll be teaching him again tomorrow.    

-We were finally able to teach Laurence, he's one of the investigators that the elders had  before their area closed down, and it has been a joke trying to meet with him.  So many complications, but he came to church yesterday as well, and when we had our lesson, he committed to baptism on May 15th!!!  He's such a sweet soul.  

Fast and testimony meeting yesterday was INCREDIBLE.  The spirit was so apparent, and my heart just couldn't stop rejoicing in the Lord.  This gospel is real.  I know it is.  
Just a few minutes ago...Sister Whiting and I went outside the church for a second, and tried to come back in when we realized we locked our keys inside.  With no jackets and the windchill of Alberta, we just huddled in a ball up against the church building because we were sooo cold.  We called Sister Giddey, and she said she'd be right over.  We sat there for probably 20 minutes (which doesn't sound too long...but felt like an eternity) and just froze and our eyes were watering and we couldn't feel our hands and we thought we were going to freeze to death.  We just sang, "Come Come Ye Saints" to ourselves and cried.  
When we got to the part where it says, "Grace shall be as your day" Sister Giddey drove up!!!  It reminded me of a lot of things...but mostly made me reflect on my mission.  It has been about 7 months now, (ahhhhh) and most of that 7 months has been working and working and not feeling like anything was coming of it.  But Grace always comes, just like this week came.  Miracles always come when we do our best and leave it all up to God.  And sometimes, you just have to keep working (or keep enduring the windchill) for a little bit longer until the promises of the Lord are fulfilled.   

Ammon says it better than I can:

I just love the Book of Mormon :)
35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has allpower, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
 36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.
 37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.
Onward, Ever onward.

Sister Jones


Exchanges with Sister Cardona

No comments:

Post a Comment